Somnium Excitare - animated spirits interest check!

pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
Okay so this likely wont be terribly pretty until I come up with a cool interest check code for it? But I noticed a few people booping my post in QIC and thought I'd maybe detail my ideas a little more?

Basic stuff first though!
- Jcink hosted, it wont start with premium because I can't sustain it financially just yet
- Will use a premade skin that I purchased, at least until I can potentially commission one?
- No hard activity checks or expectations, instead I plan on doing a 'roll call' where people need only post to say 'hey still here!' and announce any dropped characters
- Likewise there wont be any word counts anywhere around the site
- Still unsure whether I'll do a profile app or a shipper app style? It'll depend on the skin I decide to use for it tbh.
- Will likely have a Discord server and a Cbox, again cbox wil depend on which skin I use!
**- I think maybe I'd allow literature and live action characters with the caveat that you have to use an illustrated image of them, whether that be fanart of your own art.
**- I might allow animal characters tentatively, but again, only if you can get your hands on humanoid fanart of them(or anthro? I'm still kind of kicking this around)

General information about the concept!
- Focus will be on animated and illustrated properties, video games, that sort of thing!
- I use the term 'animation personified' but there's a slight twist to it, characters will still use their animated selves, so if you're playing Sora you'll still use images of Sora. The personified/spirits concept comes in because you're essentially writing your character's backstory as though they've always lived in this world. They'll have a new name, new story, but the personality and face will stay true-ish to canon.
- Some of of the RP will take place in a small college town, but the bulk of it will take place in a not-Hogwarts(but definitely based on Hogwarts) magic school. I'm kind of toying with the idea that it's a school for way way more than magic.
- I think the world itself is going to be heavily based off of the world in Onward? Modern but with a really strong fantasy twist/
- Characters might retain their canon memories through dreams? It's less a 'transported into this world' scenario and more each character just woke up there as if from an incredibly vivid dream but as far as most characters know, they've always lived in that world.

I think an overarching plot might be fun, but I'm kind of honestly looking to build more of a slice of life sandbox style place to just shove characters together and get all your wildest headcanons out there. 

** I'm kind of waffling on these concepts, I think they would be super fun and kind of open up to more people but I also know these things aren't for everyone, so I'm open to thoughts about these ideas!

Honestly I'm open for thoughts about all of this, this thread is more of a rough sketch of the idea than anything stable and set in stone!
pronounsShe/Her
251written posts
milkearned bits
offlinecurrently
milk
milk Avatar
still lactose intolerant
I said I really liked this idea and I still do! It feels a bit more involved than just a panfandom AU where people 'died' in their original worlds or were randomly plucked from their original words to a new one. (That idea really isn't very exciting for me...)

I never not liked rping with most canon characters, I know a lot of people feel uncomfortable or hesitant with them because it's someone else's interpretation of an already established character. (Cue sometimes very personal or controversial headcanons that don't always get accepted by others) But for the most part, I've hardly encountered anyone who acted noticeably 'out of character' or said character actions were quite justified considering that most RP is AU that is vastly different from established canon anyway.

I feel like this way of establishing a 'canon' character can, in essence, justify putting a personal or very different twist on characters as it's basically putting them into an entirely different AU setting!

I do love the academy aspect as well, again, we need more academia-focused RPs I miss my old My Hero site... Personally too, I hope this will be OC-friendly as well as canon.

Modern Fantasy settings are so underutilized as well, less urban supernatural magic is hush hush but more 'if magic was real in the current modern day time and everyone could use it, then what would the world be like.' Stop making magic secret, everyone knows it exists! lol

tl;dr super interested and super excited to see where this will go!
pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
I wasn't 100% sure on having OCs or not having them but tbh, since canon characters are essentially going to be used as OCs-but-not it feels like it would be silly not to have them be allowed! OCs native to the world or from another canon world with their own 'canon' memories could be fun!

I think since characters are going to use their own canon faces I likely will have OCs be faceless/original art if you happen to have art of them? Faceless would just mean you use pretty pictures of aesthetic things if you don't have art of them. I don't intend for the site to require a thousand images anyway so!

ALSO RIGHT! I'm such a sucker for magic and fantasy being out there in the open mixing actively with mundane things!

But hey I'm glad you like the idea! I've always wanted to see a panfandom spirits done like this and also have it scratch my academy/college rp itch LOL.
The Schediest of All
aliasSche
pronounsShe/her
88written posts
Codingwayearned bits
offlinecurrently
Codingway
Codingway Avatar
She'll tell you a fairy tale, or maybe she'll show your fate....
I would definitely love to see a panfan spirits where OCs are acceptable! If you could, I would love to see it happen. From fandom OCs to ones from their own worlds and universes and ones who are native to the rp’s setting, I wanna see em all!

Otherwise I would love to see your rp become a reality :) I would absolutely join. Your take on the panfan spirits seems really fun and I dig it!!

The Schediest of All
aliasSche
pronounsShe/her
88written posts
Codingwayearned bits
offlinecurrently
Codingway
Codingway Avatar
She'll tell you a fairy tale, or maybe she'll show your fate....
I apologize for the double post, but I suddenly got a few questions and thoughts I wish to share with you:

Since you say this is an academia type setting, I am wondering about the above school age characters? Would there be a university sect for the university/college age characters? Can the much older characters (say 30+) be like the faculty eg teachers, admin work etc? It would be nice to see the teacher/principal/headmaster role being playable.

the waking storm
aliasLuxu, TenebraeQueene
pronounsShe/They
313written posts
Galeforceearned bits
offlinecurrently
Galeforce
Galeforce Avatar
covered in scars but roses are coming through the cracks
I probably won't be able to participate for a while due to rl obligations, but i support this 100%! i'd love to rp a kingdom hearts or final fantasy character in this setting! i wish you all the luck and give you my heartfelt support!
last edit on Sept 10, 2021 16:23:58 GMT by Galeforce
pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
Codingway Avatar
I apologize for the double post, but I suddenly got a few questions and thoughts I wish to share with you:

Since you say this is an academia type setting, I am wondering about the above school age characters? Would there be a university sect for the university/college age characters? Can the much older characters (say 30+) be like the faculty eg teachers, admin work etc? It would be nice to see the teacher/principal/headmaster role being playable.

Yes to both! The school itself will likely teach 16+ and on, so college/uni characters will be more than welcomed! I'm probably going to split it by age, same campus but different building sort of deal!

And older characters will be more than welcome to act as faculty and teachers, in fact, I encourage people to fill out the faculty with characters rather than npcs!

And thank you! That's totally understandable, but your support is super appreciated all the same! ^^
pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
I wish I had a substantial update other than me just saying 'hey working on it!' but I doooon't, I'm chipping away slowly but surely at this thing though, hope to maybe have something to show for it soon, as well as a Discord to pop into and chat about it! I'm working on this alone so everything is taking just a tiny bit longer(I'm fine doing this ftr I'm just saying that's why!)

the waking storm
aliasLuxu, TenebraeQueene
pronounsShe/They
313written posts
Galeforceearned bits
offlinecurrently
Galeforce
Galeforce Avatar
covered in scars but roses are coming through the cracks
I finally got time to throw myself into a new rp, so i'm happy to join whenever you get it finished! :D hit me up when you get the discord ready! :3